MAKADIOSTA.COM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MAKADIOSTA.COM

MAKADIOSTA stands for 'Mga Kaparian sa Diyosesis sa Talibon' (Priests of the Diocese of Talibon). This is an internet forum for priests and their friends of the Diocese of Talibon, Bohol, PHILIPPINES. Welcome!

New forum updates are in effect. See the forum tutorial/announcements for instructions.

WHAT IS A HOMILY

Anonymous

WHAT IS A HOMILY Empty WHAT IS A HOMILY

Post by Guest Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 pm

What is a Homily?

Broadly speaking,
    a homily attempts to apply the message of the Sunday Scripture readings to
    lives of the people. But what are its specific goals? I've been giving homilies
    for 28 years, sometimes stumbling, sometimes connecting. And sometimes I ask
    myself, "Why am I doing this? What do I hope to accomplish when I stand up
    in front of these people?"
    From talking with
    priest friends I know that even the most brilliant homilists get discouraged.
    Sure, they receive compliments, words of praise, even favorable comparisons to
    other priests, but inside they are not certain what their goals are. They may
    resort to gimmicks or worse, just slack off, even give up completely. We have
    some perfectly competent priests sitting on the benchs. By way of encouragement
    I have tried to identify the basic goals of the homily. I came up with four
    purposes. Here they are in order of importance.
    Odd as it may sound,
    the primary purpose of a homily is worship. Our main reason for going to church
    is to fulfill the Third Commandment--keep holy the Day of the
    Lord. As creatures and as redeemed sinners, our first duty is worship. It is
    what we are made for. Altho the homily is not the most important part of Sunday
    worship, it has a crucial role in drawing people into the overall act. For that
    reason the homily should always in some way speak of God's sovereignty,
    transcendence and mercy.
    The problem is that we
    are constantly being drawn into the old error of Pelagianism. Pelagius was a fourth century
    British monk who taught that Christ came to give us an example and that our
    salvation consists in simply following him. This view seems noble and
    reasonable, but St. Augustine saw where it would lead: self-exaltation and separation from God. Unfortunately
    the temptation of Pelagianism is very great (its latest version is the
    "self-esteem" movement).
    A priest once told me
    I was too negative, that Jesus came to tell us how good we are. I wanted to
    respond that Jesus was not like the prophets who cried "Peace, Peace, when
    there is no peace,"* but I kept my mouth shut. I did not want to hurt his
    self-esteem. But more to the point did not want him to attack mine. Even tho he
    might feel people in general were good, he knew I wasn't so hot--and had a
    tongue which could make me painfully aware of the fact. In my better moments I
    can glimpse that truth--not just about Slobodan Milosevic--but about myself.
    The point here is not so much to hit people with how sinful they are (true
    enough) but to show them God's free and unmerited gift. It cannot be otherwise
    since we are talking about his very Self. He is holy, we are not, but he calls
    us into his own holiness. The homily can help invite people into that awe and
    joy. And there is no greater human joy than worship.
    Closely connected with
    worship is the call to repentance. In his first "homily" Jesus said:
    "The time has come; the kingdom of God is upon you; repent and believe the Gospel." (Mk 1: 15) The word for repent is metanoia.
    It literally means to change ones mind. We are surround by a secular
    culture which doesn't exactly deny God's existence but implies that
    if he does exist, he is unimportant to human affairs. That viewpoint deeply
    affects our Sunday congregation and, let's be honest, the preacher himself.
    Before we can come to God, we have to change our minds.
    Repentance is more than
    a "head trip." A military metaphor is apt. Repentance allows God to
    establish a beachhead from which he makes raids to capture more and more
    territory. But there are some areas we are afraid to surrender and so the
    battle constantly seesaws. God accepts even the smallest act of repentance, but
    will not be satisfied until we have given ourselves totally to him.
    In preaching
    repentance we should not ignore the fact that members of our congregation may
    have fallen into serious sin--the kind which completely excludes God (Mortal Sin). For example they may be
    carrying unrepented sins of adultery, abortion, drunkenness, occultism, etc.
    John Wesley was quite direct in preaching against marital infidelity, drinking
    and gambling. He not only saved many souls, but in the process transformed
    English society. One of the big reasons Catholics, especially the poor, join
    evangelical churches is because the pastor preaches against the vices which destroy
    families.
    Besides calling people
    to repentance, we must give them solid teaching. Catechesis is the third
    purpose of the homily. Those of us who pray the daily Office of Readings are
    aware how much patristic preaching involved catechesis: explaining the
    doctrines of the Trinity, Incarnation, soteriology, etc. They were preaching to
    people who had only a rudimentary knowledge of the faith. So are we but with a
    crucial difference. The culture surrounding them was pagan; ours is
    post-Christian. As C.S. Lewis said, it is the difference between a virgin and a
    divorceé. No one in our culture, even the follower of Wicca, is pagan in the
    sense of wanting to sacrifice a bull to the gods. At the same time everyone
    assumes they know all about Christianity, including of course the folks at
    Sunday Mass. The challenge is to (re)introduce them to the mysteries which our doctrines
    represent.
    The final purpose of
    preaching is perhaps surprising: to entertain. What I mean is not to compete
    with Jay Leno. But if people are not in some way drawn in by what we say, there
    is no point in saying it. Cardinal Newman's motto was cor ad cor loquitur. Heart speaks to heart. Our first
    job is to get the message in our own hearts, then to figure out how to deliver
    it to people's hearts. By saying this I am opening myself up to judgment. I am
    often aware of going over folk's heads, losing and confusing them. But I have
    sincerely tried to avoid the temptation to put the blame on them. I need to
    work to understand and clearly express Jesus' teaching, to use images and
    examples which will help people grasp it and to bring appropriate emotion and
    emphasis to the delivery. The task is daunting, but it can also be a lot of
    fun. The people are with us. Otherwise, they would not be there. Our challenge
    is to love them enough to give them the best we can. We should not be too proud
    to read homiletic manuals. One I recommend is Homiletic Moves and Structures by David G.
    Buttrick.
    Fr.
    Phil Bloom
    June
    27, 1999
    *See Jeremiah 6:14
    They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. `Peace,
    peace,' they say, when there is no peace. (cf. Ezekiel 13:10 & 13:16)
    bobcat
    bobcat

Male

WHAT IS A HOMILY Empty Re: WHAT IS A HOMILY

Post by bobcat Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

AMEYN!!!